Welcome to Women in War, a non-profit organization and think-tank focusing on the role of gender in armed conflict
This independent association, registered according to the French law on charities of 1901, was founded and registered in Paris in February 2008 by international feminist academics, united by their fight against the injustices of war and conflict. Based in Paris, it has a branch in Sarajevo.
It is the offshoot of a humanitarian association FemAid which has been working in war zones since 2000, especially in Afghanistan, Pakistan and .DR.Congo, on health and education projects.
In 2015 we became think-tank, setting up a network of feminist scholars working on issues related to Conflict and Gender. Our specialists work in all parts of the globe.
We view academic research not as an end in itself but as a means to change the conventional thinking of gender roles during wars and conflict, through study of past and present, learning from grass-roots experiences and organizations in order to further progressive change towards women’s rights, especially for post-war reconstruction. Conflict, as intersecting with gender, is understood here in the widest sense: the battle field, the war zone during and after any conflict, protracted war through sanctions, ongoing territorial, political, ethnic tensions, ill-conceived peace treaties, failed tribunals, belligerent propaganda through the media and education in increasingly militarized societies worldwide. Not forgetting long term victims: those who have been permanently wounded, those who have been raped, bereaved, widows, widowers, orphans, parents who have lost children, carers and transgenerational trauma. To this needs to be added environmental damage as a direct consequence of war and increasing poverty caused by an economy based on profit for investors and not on growth which particularly affect women and the future of children.
So far all these fields have been subjects of independent study, including by notable feminist scholars and activists. Here, for the first time, we bring them together, encouraging the new generation to work particularly on the subject of Gender and Armed Conflict, as a field in its own right.
– Encouraging and organizing conferences, seminar, publications and research on gender and armed conflict bringing together sociologists, anthropologists, historians, activists, psychologists, specialists in human rights and aid and witnesses in conflict zones.
– Collecting and recording women’s experiences during war and strife
– Organizing monthly webinars
– Organizing a cycle of annual conferences in conflict zones to commemorate the presence of women in World War One from 2014 to 2018. The first was aptly held in Sarajevo, the second in Beirut the third and future ones to be announced.
Which means working with:
– Universities worldwide, especially in war and conflict zones
– National and International aid organizations
– Women’s organizations in war and conflict zones
Women in War works in partnership with FEMAID (www.femaid.org) which handles all finances
Any benefits go to FEMAID’s educational projects
Please join us on our Facebook page Gender and Armed Conflict:
Also on the Women in War page on Facebook:
And follow us on Twitter: @genderandwar
Media about Women in War:
interview with Carol Mann (WIBG, Women in and Beyond the Global)
Article on Vox Feminae, a Croatian feminist website; Carol Mann, Nekonvencionalni heroizam Zena u Ratu by Ana Rajkovic 4/5/2015.